Memorial Day is the unofficial start of Summer for many. Whether you are planning a weekend road trip, firing up the grill, or heading out on the water, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center wants you to have a fun and safe holiday weekend by following some of these simple safety tips.
Driving Safety Tips:
- Don’t follow other vehicles too closely and use caution in construction zones.
- Be sure to make frequent stops and use multiple drivers if necessary.
- Ensure that your vehicle’s gas tank doesn’t get too low.
- Let someone know where you’re going before you leave.
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones, and always buckle your seatbelt
Backyard Barbeque Tips:
- Keep your grill out in the open and away from overhangs, enclosed areas, or anything that could catch fire.
- Make sure that no one gets too close to the grill, such as children or pets.
- Use long-handled tools as to avoid any burns.
- Never add starter fluid if your coals have already been lit.
Water Safety Tips:
- Learn CPR in case of an emergency and ensure that all swimmers are skilled.
- Actively supervise children and stay within arms-reach of new swimmers.
- If you’re on a boat, wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Remain within eyeshot of a lifeguard and swim with a buddy.
- Keep a life preserver nearby, and in case of drowning, throw it, but don’t jump in.
By following these tips, you can ensure not only just a fun Memorial Day weekend, but a safe Summer.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.