There are many changes that couples can go through during the course of their relationship. In some instances, these changes can lead to undue stress, strain and conflict on their relationship.
During these times, couples may benefit from counseling. Couples counseling can be effective in helping you and your partner heal, foster forgiveness and help you reconnect.
Some benefits from counseling are:
- Learning how to communicate in a non-adversarial way
- Understanding the importance of listening to your partner and how to process what your partner is saying
- Learning how to get your point across with assertion and not aggression or anger
- Finding a way to discuss your issues without fear of retaliation or hurting the feelings of your partner
- Learning how to work through your issues in a safe environment
- Getting your feelings out in the open and not letting them fester
- Re-committing to work out your issues together without engaging in conflict
- Developing a deeper understanding of your partner and what their needs are
By entering into counseling, you may find that you and your partner are willing to put in the work needed to get through a difficult time. If the opposite is realized, you will then feel less guilt when you make the decision to end the relationship knowing you have given it every chance.
If you and your partner would like to speak with a counselor at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, call 718-206-5588 to schedule an appointment.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.