The Transitional Care Unit (TCU) at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center is a special unit designed for transitioning patients from an acute hospital stay to a safe return home.
It offers multi-disciplinary services and provides continued care, in a nurturing environment, to patients who no longer require a hospital stay but need additional time for recovery through medical and/ or sub-acute rehabilitation management prior to discharge.
The seven-bed unit helps patients reach their maximum level of functioning through individualized care and focuses on reducing their chances for unnecessary hospital readmission. TCU team members work with patients and their families to ensure that once discharged from the acute hospital setting, the patient’s needs are still addressed.
The transitional care unit offers a variety of services, including:
- Complex medical management
- Activities of daily living (ADL) training
- Personal are provided by certified nursing assistants
- Occupational therapy
- Social work and case management
- Medication management
- Consultation services
- Skilled nursing services
- Physical therapy
- Speech and language pathology
- Recreational therapy
- Skin and wound care
- Food and nutrition services
- Equipment and supplies
Patients who may benefit the most from our transitional care unit services include those who have suffered and are recovering from the following:
- Medically complex conditions
- Weakness following an extended stay in the hospital
- Pulmonary conditions, such as pneumonia or COPD
- Cardiac conditions, such as a heart attack or heart surgery
- Orthopedic conditions, such as spinal surgery or hip fracture
- Neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease or a stroke
TCU Admission Requirements
There is a pre-admission selection criteria for patients considered for the Transitional Care Unit. Patients must require medical, skilled nursing, and/or rehabilitation services on a daily basis. Critical condition patients are not eligible.
As part of a project developed by the Department of Health, MediSys Health Network—comprised of Jamaica and Flushing Hospitals— is one of only a few designated Transitional Care Units in New York State.
The TCU is staffed by a team of Board Certified physicians, nurses and dedicated allied health professionals who use a multidisciplinary team approach to meet the needs of their patients.
To learn more about the services provided by the TCU, contact 718-206-7154.