- Language Assistance Services
- Shërbime Ndihmëse Gjuhësore - Albanian
- الخدمات اللغوية المساعدة - Arabic
- ভাষা সহয়তা সেবা সমূহ - Bengali
- Servicios de Asistencia Lingüistica - Spanish
- भाषा सहायता सेवाएं - Hindi
- Оказание языковой помощ - Russian
- 非歧視通知 - Chinese
- Sèvis Èd Nan Lang - Haitian Creole
- Services De Soutien linguistique - French
- 언어 지원 서비스 - Korean
- Servizi Di Assistenza Linguisti - Italian
- Usługi Językowe - Polish
- Serviços De Assistência Em Outros Idioma - Portuguese
- ਭਾਸ਼ਾ ਸਹਾਇਤਾ ਸੇਵਾਵਾਂ - Punjabi
- زباندانی کی مُعاونتی خِدمات - Urdu
Language Assistance Services
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center serves a diverse community and prides itself on offering a variety of language assistance services to Limited English Proficient (LEP), Deaf, hard of hearing, blind and visually impaired patients and/or their companions. In order to provide reasonable accommodations and eliminate language barriers, the hospital offers the following services at no cost to the patient:
- Qualified Medical Interpreters for Limited English Proficient patients and/or their companions. Some bilingual staff members have been trained in medical interpreting by accredited medical interpreter training programs or deemed qualified to interpret medical information.
- Qualified Bilingual Providers who are also native speakers of a foreign language with medical experience abroad or they have been evaluated and deemed qualified to convey medical information to patients in another language.
- Over-the-phone interpretation service in over 200 languages available 24 hours.
- Qualified American Sign Language Interpreters for patients who are Deaf and/or their companions.
- Video Remote Interpretation (VRI) service available 24 hours for patients who are Deaf and/or their companions.
- Auxiliary aids and services for persons who are hard of hearing, blind, or visually impaired.
- Multilingual signage posted throughout main inpatient and outpatient areas. Signs indicating Patient’s Rights, Notice of Non Discrimination, and Notice of Interpretation Services are displayed in main patient areas in the hospital’s primary languages.
- Multilingual forms, documents, and other materials are also provided to our Limited English Proficient (LEP) patients in their preferred language.
In addition to these services, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center employees are educated and trained on language assistance policies and procedures. All employees are also provided information on a variety of topics pertinent to language assistance, including: the impact of language barriers on patient care, identification of patient’s preferred language, how to request an interpreter, and cultural competency.
To contact Jamaica Hospital’s Language Assistance Program, please call the Coordinator at