At Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, our mission is “To serve our patients and the community in a way that is second to none.” Our dedication to providing quality service reflects in the many initiatives we have implemented to offer our community the very best in care; several of which have received special recognitions and designations. Here are some of our most recent achievements:
- Jamaica Hospital is recognized by Healthgrades as one of America’s 250 Best Hospitals for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 placing the hospital in the top 5% of all hospitals in the country, demonstrating the hospital’s commitment to delivering superior patient care outcomes year after year.
- Jamaica Hospital is the recipient of four 2023 U.S. News & World Report High Performing Hospitals Awards. The hospital earned high-performing ratings in treating COPD, stroke, diabetes and heart failure.
- Jamaica Hospital Medical Center ranks #2 in New York for Surgical Care according to a new analysis released by Healthgrades. Additionally, Jamaica Hospital Medical Center is the top-ranked hospital in Queens County, NY for Surgical Care, and is among the top 5% in the Nation for Surgical Care in 2023.
- Jamaica Hospital has been awarded Comprehensive Stroke Center Certification from The Joint Commission. The highest designation for excellence in the care of stroke patients.
Jamaica hospital has earned The Joint Commissions Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart Association’s Heart –Checkmark for Primary heart attack center certification.
- Jamaica Hospital has been ranked among the Top 5 hospitals in New York for Stroke Care by Healthgrades, for 2022.
- Recipient of the 2022 Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention™ for 2020, 2021, and 2022. Jamaica Hospital is recognized for superior clinical outcomes in coronary intervention procedures (angioplasty with stent).
- In 2022, Jamaica Hospital was named among the Top 10% in the Nation for Cardiology Services for 5 Years in a Row by Healthgrades.
- Jamaica Hospital received the 2020, 2021 and 2022 Healthgrades Neurosciences Excellence Award™. The hospital was recognized for its superior clinical outcomes in stroke care and cranial neurosurgery.
- Recipient of the 2022 Healthgrades Coronary Intervention Excellence Award™
- Jamaica Hospital received the 2022 Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award in recognition of its superior clinical outcomes in treating chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and pneumonia.
- Awarded the 2022 Healthgrades Stroke Care Excellence Award™ for superior clinical outcomes in the care and treatment of stroke.
- Recipient of the Healthgrades Cranial Neurosurgery Excellence Award™ (2021) in recognition of superior clinical outcomes in cranial neurosurgery.
- Awarded the 2021 Healthgrades Labor and Delivery Excellence Award™ for superior clinical care of women during and after childbirth.
- Recipient of the 2020 Healthgrades Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award. Jamaica Hospital was recognized for superior outcomes in surgeries that treat diseases and conditions of the female reproductive system and correct certain conditions of the urinary tract and rectum.
- Awarded the 2020 American Heart Association’s Get With The Guidelines -Heart Failure Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. Qualifications for this award include meeting specific quality achievement measures for the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure patients at a set level for a designated period. These measures include evaluation of the proper use of medications and aggressive risk-reduction therapies.
- Jamaica Hospital received the American Heart Association’s 2020 Get With The Guidelines-Stroke Gold Plus with Honor Roll Elite and Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll Achievement Award- To qualify for this recognition, Jamaica Hospital met quality measures developed with more than 90 % of compliance for 12 consecutive months for the “Overall Diabetes Cardiovascular Initiative Composite Score.”
- Recipient of the Mission: Lifeline Bronze Receiving Quality Achievement Award- This award was earned by implementing specific quality improvement measures outlined by the American Heart Association for the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks.
- Jamaica Hospital’s Emergency Department received Clinical Ultrasound Accreditation by the American College of Emergency Physicians. This indicates that Jamaica Hospital’s Emergency Ultrasound Program meets the high standards set forth by ACEP to perform and interpret ultrasound by a physician at the bedside to diagnose, monitor, and treat a variety of medical conditions.
- Named by Healthgrades as “America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care in 2020.” This recognition is based on superior clinical outcomes in the care and treatment of stroke.
- Earned certification as a Thrombectomy Capable Stroke Center from The Joint Commission, in collaboration with the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. This certification signifies that Jamaica Hospital has met the rigorous standards for performing mechanical endovascular thrombectomy (EVT), a specialized surgical procedure used to remove a blood clot from the brain during an ischemic stroke.
- Jamaica Hospital’s Perioperative Surgical Home was awarded the 2019 Patient Safety Award from the PSH LC, (a joint initiative of the American Society of Anesthesiologists and Premier Inc.). The award was given to Jamaica Hospital for its improved patient safety as part of PSH efforts.
- Awarded 2018 Gold Plus Award by the American Heart Association / American Stroke Association for providing treatment to a large number of stroke patients and meeting all quality measures associated with stroke care.
- Recipient of the American Heart Association’s Mission Life Silver Award for our treatment of patients suffering heart attacks through the utilization of our STEMI program.
- Awarded the 2018 American Heart Association’s Get With the Guidelines Silver Award for our treatment of patients with heart failure.
- Top performer in Healthfirst’s most recent annual quality incentive program, ranking second among their Medicare clients and sixth among their Medicaid clients out of 40 participating hospitals.
- Recipient of the prestigious 2017 National Research Corporation Health (NRC Health) Excellence Award in the category of Most Improved Facility among large hospitals in the United States. Jamaica Hospital earned the award based on receiving positive and improved scores in satisfaction from patients and their families.
- 2018 recipient of the Patient Safety Excellence Award, presented by Healthgrades, a trusted provider of information to millions of healthcare consumers across the United States. This accolade recognizes Jamaica Hospital as a leader in the prevention of patient safety events.
- 2017 recipient of the American College of Cardiology’s NCDR ACTION Registry Get with the Guidelines Silver Performance Achievement Award. The award recognizes Jamaica Hospital’s commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care for heart attack patients.
- Designated as a Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology in all areas of imaging including MRI, CT scan, mammography, nuclear medicine, and ultrasound. This designation demonstrates the hospital’s commitment to providing the highest quality, and safest imaging services.
- Received designation as a Baby-Friendly USA facility. The prestigious recognition is awarded to hospitals and birthing facilities that uphold strict breastfeeding and maternal care guidelines established by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF).
- Recognized as Level 3 Primary Care Medical Homes by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). This national program recognized all nine of Jamaica Hospital’s community-based ambulatory care centers for demonstrating a commitment to providing quality improvement and a patient-centered approach to care that results in a happier and healthier patient population.
- 2017 recipient of The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke GOLD PLUS Quality Achievement Award for applying the most up-to-date evidence-based treatment guidelines to improve patient care and outcomes.
- Recognized as a Level 1 Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons, Jamaica Hospital received the highest verification level awarded to facilities capable of providing total care for every aspect of injury.
- Designated by the New York State Department of Health as a Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Recognized as a Centering Healthcare Institute (CHI) Centering Pregnancy Approved Site, for providing a successful, group-based model of prenatal care for expectant mothers.
- 2017 recipient of the American Heart Association’s Get with the Guidelines Heart Failure Bronze Award. The award was given to the hospital in recognition of its commitment to treating heart failure patients with 85% or higher compliance to core standard levels of care, as outlined by the American Heart Association.
- Recognized by DOH QINCA (Quality Improvement for Contraceptive Access) as a Center of Excellence for adopting best practices for improving contraceptive access in a postpartum setting and ambulatory care setting.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at Jamaica Hospital is a clinic comprised of highly-skilled surgeons, who are experts in the diagnosis and treatment of musculoskeletal injuries. Our subspecialties include:
Whether suffering from an athletic injury sustained during competitive or recreational play, or injury after rigorous workouts, our team of orthopedic surgeons at Jamaica Hospital is committed to optimizing our patients’ ability to return to an active lifestyle.
Our surgeons utilize minimally invasive arthroscopic techniques and offer specialized rehabilitative programs to treat several common sports-related injuries, including:
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Ligament and tendon tears
- Dislocated joints
- Fractured bones
By providing comprehensive and personalized care, our orthopedic surgeons in Queens ensure that our patients get back to work and sporting activities in a timely manner.
A multidisciplinary team of physical therapists, rehabilitation specialists, pain management staff, manipulative therapists, and spine surgeons work collaboratively to treat a wide variety of back and spine conditions.
With a high level of technical skills and years of experience, we perform the most advanced procedures for the treatment of acute spinal injuries, as well as degenerative conditions. This includes:
- Back pain
- Herniated discs
- Spinal deformity
- Spinal infections
- Spinal fractures
At Jamaica Hospital, our orthopedic clinic’s goal is to relieve back discomfort and improve the function of our patients.
Hand and Upper Extremity Conditions
Our Board Certified surgeons provide the highest quality of care to patients who require operative and non-operative treatment for hand, arm, and shoulder problems, such as:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Wrist fractures and dislocations
To help alleviate pain and restore normal function to these upper extremities, we offer a wide range of services, including:
- Examinations and diagnosis
- Splinting and bracing
- Minimally invasive nerve testing
- Occupational therapy
- Hand, elbow, and shoulder surgery
Our comprehensive approach and dedication provides our patients with everything they need to recover.
Complex Fractures and Orthopedic Trauma
Jamaica Hospital boasts a Level I Trauma Center, where our dedicated and experienced surgeons are known for providing exceptional care to some of the most complex trauma and fracture injuries in the New York City area.
Our surgeons possess the expertise needed to provide emergency and superior care to patients with:
- Foot and ankle fractures
- Hand and wrist fractures
- Hip and knee fractures
- Shoulder and elbow fractures
- Spine fractures
We’ve successfully used innovative surgical and non-surgical techniques and procedures to treat our patients, including minimally invasive bone grafting and pelvic reconstruction. We work closely with the facility’s rehabilitation team to provide a comprehensive plan that can lead to the best outcomes.
Total Joint Reconstruction
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery has a dedicated Total Joint Center where highly integrated care is provided to our patients from the time of their diagnosis to post-surgery recovery. Utilizing an interdisciplinary approach, our total joint specialist works with a team of highly skilled orthopedic surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, physical therapists, and occupational therapists to treat patients in need of hip or knee replacement.
We provide a wide variety of surgical and non-surgical treatment options for arthritis and osteoarthritis, specifically:
- Total knee and hip replacement
- Total hip resurfacing
- Joint replacement
- Arthroscopic hip and knee surgery
- Physical therapy
For patients requiring surgery, our pre-operative educational program provides information on how to prepare for surgery, the recovery process, physical therapy, occupational therapy, and follow-up care.
After surgery, our patients participate in an extensive rehabilitation program offered by the hospital’s Department of Rehabilitation. This approach ensures a continuum of care and has produced successful outcomes for our patients.
Facilities and Office Hours:
Jamaica Hospital’s Orthopedic Clinic is located on the Jamaica Hospital campus, at:
133-03 Jamaica Avenue
Jamaica, NY 11418
Office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery accepts most major insurance plans.
To make an appointment at Jamaica Hospital’s Orthopedic Clinic, please contact the Department of Orthopedic Surgery at 718-206-6923
*Outpatient orthopedic surgeries have been temporarily suspended, to receive more information about scheduling appointment or about our services, please contact