What is Integrative Health?
At Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, we are devoted to providing Integrative Health in Queens, New York. We created this program to help prevent disease onset, address existing chronic conditions, and promote healing in our patients. Integrative health is the coordinated delivery of evidence-based conventional medical care, complementary medicine and lifestyle modifications for producing optimal health and well-being. It combines the very best of traditional medicine with a variety of holistic treatment options as well as self-care practices to promote healing and overall wellness
What Does Integrative Health Involve?
Integrative health is an approach that places the patient at the center of a treatment plan that takes into account the physical, emotional, and social needs of that individual.
When creating a treatment plan, Integrative healthcare providers apply healthcare strategies that include the use of complementary medicine that is supported by medical research. This concept is also referred to as evidence-based care.
Treatment plans may also include the use of conventional medicine, such as prescriptions, to manage chronic health conditions, as well as therapies and practices, such as yoga, meditation, acupuncture and massage therapy, as well as self-care strategies to promote healing and wellness. Additionally, patients are encouraged to develop healthy behaviors that they can use on a daily basis to improve their health and prevent the development of certain diseases.
How Can Integrative Health Benefit You?
Integrative health offers many advantages. As a patient, you will receive individualized and holistic care that addresses your unique health needs.
An integrative approach to your health can help you to better manage symptoms of conditions that include:
- Chronic pain
- Joint pain
- Anxiety and depression
- Digestive disorders
- Sleep disorders
Integrative Care Therapies That May Benefit Your Health Include:
• Yoga – Yoga has been shown to benefit people’s general wellness by relieving stress, supporting good health habits, and improving mental health, emotional health, sleep, and balance. Yoga may also help with lower back pain and neck pain, anxiety, or symptoms of depression associated with difficult life situations.
• Meditation or Mindfulness – Meditation has been shown to help improve blood pressure, symptoms of anxiety and depression, symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, and flare-ups in people with gastric issues, and insomnia.
• Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine – Osteopathic manipulative medicine, or OMM, may be used by your doctor to move your muscles and joints, stretch your muscles, apply heat therapy, and place gentle pressure on areas of your body to relieve pain and discomfort.
• Nutritional Counseling -Making long term, healthy adjustments to the food you eat can improve your health in numerous ways, including lowering blood pressure, lowering cholesterol, encouraging weight loss, and giving you more energy.
• Acupuncture – Acupuncture has been shown to ease various forms of chronic pain, such as low-back pain, neck pain, osteoarthritis pain, and knee pain. It has also been shown to decrease the frequency of tension headaches and prevent migraine headaches.
• Massage Therapy – Massage therapy is effective in reducing stress and alleviating pain and muscle tension. Massage therapy has also been used to relieve symptoms of anxiety, digestive disorders, fibromyalgia, headaches, insomnia, and many other conditions.
To learn more about our integrative health program in Queens New York, please call 718-206-6914.