I Organizers: Jamaica Hospital Medical Center & Pentecostal Deliverance Center
Date:Saturday, August 25th 2018
Address:Pentecostal Deliverance Center – 198-02 Linden Blvd, St. Albans, NY 11412
Number of Attendees:Over 100
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center’s 5th Annual Health Fair & Back to School Drive, co-organized with Pentecostal Deliverance Center, took place on Saturday, August 25th 2018 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM. The health fair featured a number of Jamaica Hospital’s own staff who provided health screenings, presentations, demonstrations, and free giveaways to the St. Albans’ community.
The following list contains the participating JHMC departments involved during the event along with their contribution:
• Dr. Selwena Brewster, Emergency Department – Presentation on Hypertension & provided one-on-one health consultations.
• Dr. Kenneth Doughlin, Trauma Medical Director for the Department of Surgery – Presentation on Organ Donation & End of Life Care
• Vincent Barraco, Paramedic Supervisor, Pre-hospital Department – Presentation: Call 911…What to Do Before an Ambulance Arrives
• Navi Santram, EMT, Pre-hospital Department – Demonstration: Stop the Bleed
• Jennifer Ramsay, Assistant Head Nurse, Pediatrics Department – Lactation Counseling & Child Safety Table
• Diana Vientos, Lactation Counselor, OBGYN Department – Lactation Counseling Table
• Dr. Samantha Locke, Dental Resident, Dental Department – Oral Screening Table
• Dr. Kiran Narain, Dental Resident, Dental Department – Oral Screening Table
• Abigail Hasan, Stroke Coordinator – Blood Pressure Screening Table
• Djeme Ndiaye, Outreach Coordinator – WIC Program Table
In addition to Jamaica Hospital, a number of outside vendors also provided health screenings and education to the community.
• Humana – Provided blood pressure and blood sugar screenings.
• AIDS Center of Queens County – Provided free HIV and STD testing.
• FDNY – Provided information and demonstrations on fire safety.
• NYC Department for the Aging – Provided information on Falls Prevention Awareness and other health topics related to senior citizens.
• Donna Mapp-Reid, Certified Asthma Educator – Provided demonstrations related to managing asthma.
• Baker’s Drugs – Provided free school supplies and giveaways to the children of the community.
• NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene – Provided public health information.
Other vendors and donors involved include Healthfirst, Target, Walmart, Costco, Century 21, Walgreens, Farmbria Food Center, Keyfood, Stop n Shop, and CUNY York College.
During the event, over 40 people registered for the Stop the Bleed Class with Navi Santram and became certified. Over 70 attendees had their blood pressure screened by Abigail Hasan. 10 attendees received oral screenings by our dental residents. Over 30 people attended Dr. Brewster’s and Dr. Doughlin’s presentations.
The event was hosted by Pentecostal Deliverance Center’s Pastor Raymond Hyman. The congregation provided free hot meals to feed the community. The event was co-organized by Trauma Program Manager, Beverly Brown, RN, and Community Educator & Injury Prevention Coordinator, Alex Ariza.