We have all experienced constipation at some point in our lives. The experience can be painful and uncomfortable. Constipation is a condition of the digestive system that occurs when bowel movements are less frequent than normal (two or fewer in a week) and is difficult to pass. There are several causes for constipation some of which are: not enough fiber in the diet, eating large amounts of dairy products, medication and the most common culprit-insufficient fluid intake.
There are several home remedies that you can try to get relief from constipation, they include:
- Drinking Epsom salts with water- This mixture is excellent for constipation because the salt softens the stool and the magnesium helps in contracting the muscles in the bowels.
- Taking a tablespoon of olive oil- Olive oil is known to stimulate the digestive system and can help in moving waste through the colon.
- Eating fiber- Adding natural fibers from fruits, vegetables and whole grains to your diet can help in softening stool and making it bulkier.
- Drinking Aloe Vera juice- Aloe Vera juice can be used to soothe the discomfort that can be caused by constipation.
- Consuming prunes or prune juice- Prunes work as a natural laxative and is a common cure. This fruit is rich in fiber and contains sorbitol, which soften stools.
- Drinking lots of water or fluids- consuming fluids help in softening the stool, making it easier to pass.
Following these simple home remedies can help relieve constipation and decrease irregularity. If your constipation persists for three weeks or more or you have spotted blood in your stool, please see your doctor immediately. Constipation that is left untreated for too long can lead to health complications such a hemorrhoids or rectal prolapse.