The Fungus among Us…Mold

                                                                                                                                              What is mold?  Mold is microscopic fungi that live on plant and animal matter.  They are most present in dark moist areas.                              

When mold grows, tiny spores are created that reproduce and float through the air continually.  As spores land on damp places, they will begin to grow.

 Fabrics, rugs, stuffed animals, books, and wallpaper can contain mold spores if they become damp or are kept in a damp space.  Additionally, mold can live in the soil, on compost and on plants that are damp. For people who are sensitive to mold, inhaling spores can trigger an asthma attack.

 Preventative measures you can take:

  •  Clean up mold and eliminate sources of moisture in your home.
  • Use exhaust fans or open a window in the bathroom and kitchen when showering, cooking or washing dishes.
  • Fix water leaks, as soon as possible, to prevent mold from growing.
  • Change furnace and air conditioner filters often.
  • Use high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters.
  • Central heating and air conditioning systems can help control mold.
  • Maintain low indoor humidity, ideally between 30-50% relative humidity levels can be measured by hygrometers.

 Studies have shown that mold reduction is associated with significant improvements in asthma symptoms among patients who are sensitive to molds.

 If you have any questions, or would like to schedule an appointment withJamaicaHospital’sAmbulatoryCareCenterto discuss mold as a trigger for asthma, call 718-206-7001.

All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.