Losing a loved one is one of the hardest experiences we can have. For most people, a pet is like a member of the family. They love us unconditionally and over the course of our lives and theirs, will give us countless hours of joy and happiness. When a pet passes on, it can be devastating. It is very normal to grieve for the loss of a pet in the same way as we would for anyone else in our lives that we love.
Some of the ways we can handle the loss of a pet:
- Allow yourself time to mourn
- Think back on all the memories you and your pet created together
- Try to continue with your life and your daily routine
- Allow others to offer their condolences
- Write a letter to your pet, hold a memorial service, put some items of the pet in a special place in your home.
- Seek professional help to speak about your feelings
If you would like to schedule an appointment with a mental health therapist, please call 718-206-7160.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.