Research indicates that as you get older, you will need less sleep. The National Sleep Foundation recommends the following hours for each age group:
• Newborns (0-3 months): 14-17 hours
• Infants (4-11 months): 12-15 hours
• Toddlers (1-2 years): 11-14 hours
• Preschoolers (3-5): 10-13 hours
• School-age children (6-13): to 9-11 hours
• Teenagers (14-17): to 8-10 hours
• Younger adults (18-25): 7-9 hours
• Adults (26-64): 7-9 hours
• Older adults (65+): 7-8 hours
It was also found that adults tend to take longer to doze off, sleep more lightly and wake up more often during the night than children and adolescents.
Are you on Facebook or Twitter? Connect with us for more health and fitness tips, hospital events and highlights.
Facebook.com/JamaicaHospital or follow us on Twitter @JamaicaHospital
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.