Served as the main dish or a tasty side, this nutritious and delicious Eggplant Tomato Salad will astonish the most finicky palate.
Here’s all you need to get started!
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 7 tomatoes
- 1 eggplant
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Roast peppers on stove burners or under oven broiler until skin turns evenly black. Immediately place in a plastic bag and let cool.
- Prepare the tomatoes by cutting an X on the bottom of each and boil in water for 1 minute, plunge into a cold water bath and let cool.
- Cut the eggplant into small strips and sauté in oil until eggplant begins to brown. About 6 to 8 minutes. Once the eggplant is soft, add garlic.
- Rinse the peppers under cold water and remove the burnt skin (just the ash). Open the peppers and remove seeds. Cut into small strips and add to eggplant. Peel cooled tomatoes, chop and add to eggplant mixture. Add tomato paste, salt pepper and cayenne. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
This is a great recipe for an “on the go” lifestyle because it requires short prep and cooking times. In an hour and 20 min, you will have your meal on the table.
As part of Jamaica Hospital Medical Center’s (JHMC) effort to provide out community with healthy nutrition and wellness alternatives, we are proud to announce our first Farmers’ Market! JHMC has partnered with the LI Greenmarket and the Cornell University Cooperative Extension to bring fresh produce and wellness programs for everyone to enjoy!
The Farmers’ Market will be open every Wednesday, 10:00AM – 4:00PM, from June 27, 2018 through November 21, 2018. The Market will be located at 134-20 Jamaica Avenue, Jamaica, NY 11418.
Remember, fresh is best!
For this and more healthy vegetable recipes visit – https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14336/eggplant-tomato-salad/
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.