The psychiatry residency is a four-year training program. Residents are accepted after graduation from medical school for the full four-year program. Successful applicants must demonstrate a respect for the cultural, ethnic, and spiritual needs of patients.
The residency program at Jamaica Hospital is fully accredited by the ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education). The residency training program is currently accredited for twenty-eight (28) residents divided over the four-year program.
Our residents rotate through the MediSys Health Network comprised of Jamaica Hospital and Flushing Hospital, as well as the Elmhurst Hospital Center.
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center
Located in the heart of the Jamaica section of Queens, New York, Jamaica Hospital serves as the main campus for the Psychiatry Residency Program. This modern facility offers residents the finest setting to begin their psychiatric training.
- General Inpatient Psychiatry Division
- Psychiatric Emergency Division with Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program and Mobile Crisis Team
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Division
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Division
- Geriatric Psychiatry Division
- Psychiatry Research Division
- Mental Health Clinic
Flushing Hospital Medical Center
Located in Flushing, Queens, this community medical center provides medical services to the surrounding population, a unique mix of patients from around the world.
- Psychiatry Inpatient Unit
- Chemical Dependency Unit
- Consultation-Liaison Services
- Mental Health Clinic
- Reflections Chemical Dependence Clinic
Elmhurst Hospital Center:
Located in Elmhurst, Queens, this hospital serves an area of nearly one million people in one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse communities in the United States. Residents rotate at this Hospital for their Forensic Rotation on the Women’s Forensic Unit.
Additional Features of the Psychiatry Residency
- Comprehensive Didactic Curriculum
- Teaching On-Call Service
- Psychiatry Resource Center
- Psychiatry and Neurology Review Courses
- Residency Training Meeting
- Teaching experience
- Department Clinical Case Conference
- Departmental Journal Club
- Psychiatry Grand Rounds
- Administrative Experience