- Clinical services
- Externship Program in Phsychiatry
The Department of Psychiatry at The Jamaica Hospital Medical Center offers a formal externship, providing five months of training that is designed for international medical graduates. Externs work full-time (8:00 AM – 4:00 PM) Mondays through Fridays.
The program includes the following components:
- Supervised clinical observation and experience in the adult Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, Psychiatric Inpatient Services, Chemical Dependency Unit and Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.
- Supervised training in patient interviewing skills
- Didactic seminars on clinical and theoretical topics:
Foundations in Psychiatry
- Basics of Psychodynamics
- Introduction to Interviewing
- Introduction to Psychiatric Research
- Weekly Case Conferences and biweekly Grand Rounds/Journal Club.
The Jamaica Hospital and Flushing Hospital Medical Centers serve a wide variety of patients from different socioeconomic strata with rich cultural diversity. Therefore, we provide a cross-cultural experience, which sensitizes the externs to the diverse needs of our patients. At the conclusion of the externship, trainees are expected to gain experience in the following areas:
- How to conduct a comprehensive psychiatric interview.
- To acquire skills in the differential diagnosis of psychiatric syndromes.
- To acquire knowledge of the common psychiatric problems of adulthood
- To use laboratory tests, psychological testing and other diagnostic procedures appropriately; make accurate psychiatric diagnoses; formulate a problem list and the corresponding treatment plan.
- To acquire knowledge of the indications, contraindications, presumed mechanisms, dosing schedules and side effects for common psychotropic medications.
- To demonstrate consistent interest, tact, and compassion for the patient and the patient’s family.
- To demonstrate the qualities of reliability, conscientiousness, and integrity.
- To work harmoniously as a member of a mental health team in information gathering, treatment planning and implementation.
Admission to the program is a competitive process. There is no cost.
We are looking for applicants who are professional, mature, psychologically-minded, and culturally competent.
Applicants must have good communication skills and comprehension in both spoken and written English.
Applicants must have graduated from a medical school and have passes USMLE Step I, and Step II CK and CS exams.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or a Permanent Resident with Green Card.
WE CANNOT CONSIDER APPLICANTS WHO ARE IN THE U.S. ON A VISA OF ANY CLASSIFCICATION. NO EXCEPTIONS.
Please email us at email@example.com or call us at 718-206-7708 for further information.