One of the best things about the summer is spending time with family and friends at cookouts and barbeques. While we look forward to these outings, the foods found can cause us to pack on the pounds. Whether attending or hosting your next summer gathering, try some of these calorie conscious techniques:
• Skip the chips and dip. Instead, try healthier alternatives, like fresh vegetables. If you want to make a dip, use non-fat yogurt instead of sour cream or mayonnaise.
• Try kabobs. They offer the same opportunity to enjoy grilled chicken, beef, or pork, but minus the bread. Plus, the grilled vegetables on them will help you fill up.
• If you insist on having a burger or hot dog, choose healthier options, such as chicken or turkey instead of beef. Also, avoid whit flout buns and breads and opt for whole grains instead.
• Instead of heavy macaroni or potato salads loaded with mayonnaise, look for salads with a vinaigrette base as a lighter alternative.
• Don’t limit yourself to just grilling meat. There are many types of fish that are not only healthier, but also taste great on the grill. Vegetables, lightly coated in olive oil are also tasty and filling.
• For dessert, serve some refreshing summer fruit, such as cherries, peaches, plums or melons.
By following these tips, you can still enjoy your summer, but not pay for it in the fall.
All content of this newsletter is intended for general information purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult a medical professional before adopting any of the suggestions on this page. You must never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking medical treatment based upon any content of this newsletter. PROMPTLY CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR CALL 911 IF YOU BELIEVE YOU HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY.